Friday, April 13, 2018
Daily Thought 2018

Be The Exception
How many times have you gone to the gym or been out in public and see someone of advanced age living well and accomplishing amazing physical feats and think I hope I can do that when I am that age. We admire people who have stayed fit and healthy later in life. Let’s face it, it gets harder as we age because our bodies simply cannot do what we used to do when we were younger, but we can live a vital and productive life at any age. Jack LaLane was my role model for living well, especially into later years; he never stopped exercising his whole life and accomplished some amazing feats on his birthday every year. Sadly, he passed away at age 96. I would certainly be grateful to live vitally until that age. He was the exception to the rule; he had great determination to be a leader in the fitness revolution that occurred in our society. We all have the same potential physically, some have genetic advantages, but research has revealed that genetic disposition is only 30% of our health potential, the other 70% is your will to be fit and healthy. You may not achieve what Jack did, but you could be the one everyone else looks at in the gym and says, “Wow, I hope I am that fit when I get that age.” Be the exception, fight for your fitness.
 
“Whatever you do, do it well. Do it so well that when people see you do it they will want to come back and see you do it again and they will want to bring others and show them how well you do what you do.” Walt Disney

Polar Smart Coaching Training Tip: Mindset
We have all heard this term before, but what is it really? It is described as your set of beliefs and way of thinking about the world around you based on your life experiences. There are two basic mindsets: fixed mindset and growth mindset. Fixed mindset is focused on talent and intelligence, or fixed assets, believing that talent alone will produce success. Growth mindset is focused on the belief that basic talent and intelligence when developed with hard work produce great success. Mindset can be developed by daily rituals that support your beliefs and values. Develop a growth mindset that creates a love of learning, a spirit of challenge, and a compassionate heart to lend a helping hand to others. Don’t let the material things in your life distract you from finding your true voice and developing you into your best self. It truly is all about how you think about it. What is your mindset? Mine is “If it is to be, it’s up to me” and “Make it count”.

Nutrition Tip: One Food Choice Per Day
A current recommendation for weight loss is to create a 200-400 calorie deficit each day. That means you should expend more calories than you consume during a typical day. Many of our food choices each day are in that 200-400 calories range so making one less food choice each day can be the key to your weight loss goals. What one food or drink item could you do without each day to be lean and mean person you want?
 
“Being proactive is the capacity to subordinate impulses, words, feelings, and conditions, to values based on principles.” Dr. Stephen Covey